Thursday, September 23, 2010

Your Classmates' Rewrite of Sonnet 130

Antithesis to Sonnet 130

My mistress' eyes are brighter than the sun.
Brandon
Her lips are more red than coral.
Kenny
Her breasts are whiter than the snow
Her hair is as soft as a sheep's bosom.
Maurice
Red and white roses could never compare
To the roses that bloom in her cheeks.
Susan
And in the breath from my mistress
Is more delight than all perfumes.
Yunrui
If I listen to her spoken words
The harmony and tone is nicer than music.
Katherine
Godesses may gracefully walk through the night
Chandanie
My mistress, when she walks, dances on the ground.
Malthen
And yet I do not love her so;
She is a liar, as well as a hoe*
Susan
      * And please notice that Susan 
          ends the sonnet with a "so" "hoe"
          couplet. Why do you agree
          or disagree with her ending?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you had us write the opposite of each line. I now understand the professor at Harvard's purpose in starting her class like this. It helps us understand why Shakespeare did what he did and how brilliant of a poet he really was. Also,Shakespeare's comparison of hair to 'wires' would refer to finely-spun gold threads woven into fancy hair nets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great compilation of lines there from our class. I notice how even though it's an antithesis to Sonnet 130, it doesn't follow the rhyme scheme. Why did you choose these sets of lines?
    Also I agree with Susan's couplet because in the actual sonnet, Shakespeare would describe her as dull and unattractive. By putting in Susan's couplet, it makes the woman attractive because many people ogle hoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the sonnet, the last two couplets refer to how many men might deceive her as she's portrayed as unattractive by Shakespeare, but Shakespeare still loves her regardless of her appearance. I used the last lines of the antisonnet to make an antithesis. I realize it may seem a bit misogynistic, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete